As expected, there was plenty of fallout from New Year’s Evil on this week’s episode of WWE NXT. Throw in the fast-approaching premium live event known as Vengeance Day and the stakes are certainly high. From learning that The New Day will defend their tag team titles in a Triple Threat Match at Vengeance Day to the growing tensions within Toxic Attraction, there were plenty of noteworthy WWE NXT results on Tuesday night. Oh, and the finishing move that Sol Ruca delivered in her win over Alba Fyre is a highlight you have to see to believe!
Whether you missed the show or are simply looking to gain additional insight and perspective, the following recaps all of the WWE NXT match results, highlights and storylines from January 17th.
WWE NXT Match Results
– Men’s Tag Team Match: Apollo Crews and Axiom def. Carmelo Hayes and Trick Williams via pinfall
– Women’s Singles Match: Sol Ruca def. Alba Fyre via pinfall
– Men’s Tag Team Match: Gallus (Mark Coffey and Wolfgang) def. Josh Briggs and Brooks Jensen via pinfall
– Women’s Singles Match: Thea Hail def. Valentina Feroz via pinfall
– Men’s Singles Match: Tyler Bate def. Javier Bernal via pinfall
– Women’s Tag Team Match: Roxanne Perez and Lyra Valkyria def. Toxic Attraction (Gigi Dolin and Jacy Jayne) via pinfall
WWE NXT Results Today: Notes, Storylines and Developments
– Apollo Crews exacts some revenge by pinning Carmelo Hayes for the win in tag team action to kick off the show.
– Tony D’Angelo tells Channing “Stacks” Lorenzo that his days of being a soldier are over. He reaffirms that Stacks is now a member of the family and says it’s time for him to become the underboss.
– In a backstage interview with McKenzie Mitchell, footage is played of Indi Hartwell standing up to Tiffany Stratton after she called all of the women in the locker room “pigs” upon returning at NXT New Year’s Evil. Stratton says that she will show Hartwell and the entire locker room that she’s the only superstar in the women’s division.
– Toxic Attraction members Gigi Dolin and Jacy Jayne mock the NXT Universe for thinking that they would split up during last week’s battle royal. Lyra Valkyria interrupts and says that she doesn’t see either of them becoming the NXT Women’s Champion at Vengeance Day. When Dolin and Jayne go after Valkyria, the champ herself, Roxanne Perez, comes to her defense to set up a tag team main event match between the four women.
– Ivy Nile goes off on The Creed Brothers backstage and says they need to stop worrying about revenge on Indus Sher and start focusing on getting back into the NXT Tag Team Championship.
– Stevie Turner does another live stream and breaks down several components of last week’s 20-women battle royal. She also says that had she been in the match, she would’ve won and hints that she will soon become a factor in the NXT Women’s Division.
– Dijak warns Wes Lee that he has zero chance of winning their North American Championship match at NXT Vengeance Day.
– In an exclusive interview with Vic Joseph from earlier in the day, Grayson Waller says that the ring crew’s failure to properly repair the ropes is the only reason that he didn’t defeat Bron Breakker for the NXT Championship at New Year’s Evil. He then reveals that he got his own title belt because he “feels like he is the champion”.
– Following her loss to Sol Ruca in which a distraction from Isla Dawn proved costly, Alba Fyre is seen backstage threatening to be up an NXT referee. Kayden Carter and Katana Chance save her from a certain suspension, but Fyre then threatens to challenge them by herself for the NXT Women’s Tag Team Championship.
– Gallus effectively turns their tag team match into a 2-on-1 handicap by flipping Brooks Jensen onto exposed concrete at ringside. As Gallus finished off Josh Briggs inside the ring, Kiana James comes down to help Jensen. She and Fallon Henley get into a brief argument over how to tend to him.
– As Duke Hudson is hyping Thea Hail up for her match, Andre Chase emerges with footage of Hudson calling her match a “must-win for Chase U”. Hudson argues that the video was taken completely out of context, but the trust he had earned with Chase seems to be fading.
– Backstage in medical, Fallon Henley tells Brooks Jensen that Kiana James is just using him. When Jensen argues back and tells her to deal with it, Henley responds that “when she (James) breaks your heart, I won’t be here to help you pick up the pieces”.
– Elektra Lopez comes down to the ring and gives Valentina Feroz brass knuckles to use in her match against Thea Hail. Instead of using them, Feroz turns them over to the referee and promptly loses the match via pinfall.
– Carmelo Hayes and Trick Williams tell Apollo Crews that his victory earlier in the evening was “cheap” because it was a tag team match.
– Elektra Lopez confronts Valentina Feroz backstage once again and reiterates that she needs to forget about Sanga and do whatever it takes to win matches and earn respect.
– Things break down in the ring when both Pretty Deadly and Gallus come out to confront The New Day. Based on the comments made and how the ensuing brawl played out, it’s clear that Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods view Mark Coffey and Wolfgang as the rightful No. 1 contenders for the NXT Tag Team Championship. However, it is later announced that the titles will be defended in a Triple Threat Match at NXT Vengeance Day.
– In an exclusive interview with Vic Joseph from earlier in the day, Bron Breakker reiterates that the controversial ending to his NXT Championship defense at New Year’s Evil was not the outcome he wanted. Breakker goes on to call Grayson Waller the “Chael Sonnen of WWE” with all of his trash talk. He vows to put all doubts about the legitimacy of his title reign to rest at NXT Vengeance Day.
– Former NXT UK Champion Tyler Bate is victorious in his return match against Javier Bernal.
– Fallon Henley apologizes to Brooks Jensen for insulting his budding romance with Kiana James. She also shares that she asked for a tag team match on next week’s card for which James will be her partner.
– Cora Jade attempts to run interference on Lyra Valkyria in her main event tag team match. Valkyria takes the brawl all the way to the back, but Roxanne Perez is still able to pick up the win thanks to Jacy Jayne hitting Gigi Dolin with a kick to the face inadvertently.
WWE NXT Highlights
Match of the Night: Women’s Tag Main Event
As soon as this match was made official earlier in the night, one could only wonder what might transpire with all three members of the upcoming NXT Women’s Championship Triple Threat Match involved. To say that there was a lot going on would be an understatement.
First, there was Cora Jade emerging to once again go after Lyra Valkyria. This feud is all because Valkyria eliminated Jade from the 20-women battle royal at NXT New Year’s Evil merely seconds after the opening bell. What was really a surprise is when Valkyria engaged Jade in a brawl that eventually went away from ringside and into the backstage area.
Left all alone, Roxanne Perez found herself in a tricky spot against the Toxic Attraction duo. She caught a huge break when Jacy Jayne accidentally struck Gigi Dolin in the face with a kick that was intended for Perez. The champ was able to capitalize on the miscommunication and deliver her Pop Rocks finisher to pin Dolin for the win.
Of course, the drama continued after the match as Dolin and Jayne argued in the middle of the ring over what had happened. How on Earth will the two exist as a cohesive unit in a triple threat match with the title belt on the line? With Mandy Rose having been (wrongfully) fired from the WWE, it seems like a real possibility that the entire Toxic Attraction empire could be in ruins sooner rather than later.
Move of the Night: Sol Ruca Finisher
Did Isla Dawn’s appearance impact the outcome of Sol Ruca’s singles match against Alba Fyre? Absolutely. However, that brief distraction was hardly enough to take away from the disgusting finishing move Ruca deployed to get the win. Behold the “Sol Snatcher”!
When Booker T instinctively screams “WHOA!” on commentary, you know it has to be good! Ruca’s athleticism continues to serve her well in the ring and this win over Fyre could serve as a launching pad moving forward. As she continues to rise the ranks in the NXT Women’s Division, there are bound to be plenty more Sol Snatchers to come.
Quote of the Night: Grayson Waller
On his upcoming rematch with Bron Breakker inside a steel cage for the NXT Championship at Vengeance Day:
“There is nowhere that I wanna be more than stuck in a cage with that dog.”— Grayson Waller
The following matches and segments have been announced and confirmed for next Tuesday’s episode of NXT.
– NXT Women’s Tag Team Championship Match: Katana Chance and Kayden Carter vs. Alba Fyre
– Women’s Singles Match: Tiffany Stratton vs. Indi Hartwell
– NXT Women’s Championship Match Summit: Roxanne Perez, Gigi Dolin and Jacy Jayne will come face-to-face four nights before Vengeance Day
– Thea Hail Award Ceremony: Hosted by Chase U
Build to NXT Vengeance Day Continues
Below is a complete list of all confirmed matches to date that will take place at the WWE NXT Vengeance Day premium live event on February 4th.
– NXT Championship Steel Cage Match: Bron Breakker (c) vs Grayson Waller
– NXT Women’s Championship Triple Threat Match: Roxanne Perez (c) vs Gigi Dolin vs Jacy Jayne
– NXT North American Championship Match: Wes Lee (c) vs Dijak
– NXT Tag Team Championship Triple Threat Match: The New Day (c) vs Gallus vs Pretty Deadly