Throughout the season, we have been posting our Mid-Major Top-25 Rankings, highlighting the 25 best non-power conference teams, along with some mid-major notes. Here are the final batch of rankings of the season!
Mid-Major Top-25 Rankings
|7||New Mex State|
|17||South Dak State|
- Northern Colorado is a firm #1 contender for Montana’s Big Sky championship after blowing out third place Weber State.
- San Fran is done in terms of NCAA Tournament at-large hopes, after home losses to San Diego and Loyola Marymount this week.
- In two fantastic games this season in the Big South, Campbell used a buzzer beater from star Chris Clemons, and a huge defensive stop as time ran out, to beat Radford twice, win the regular season title, and take the #1 seed and home court advantage in the conference tournament. The Fighting Camels are looking scary and they are the new favorites.
- Yale may not be the favorite in the IVY League anymore, after a bad loss to Columbia took place at home on Saturday. To me, Harvard is the team to beat, with Princeton and Yale still right there.
- Vermont gains superiority in the American East, holding off Stony Brook at home and locking down the regular season title.
- The Sun Belt regular season title is now majorly up for grabs as, first place Texas State was blown out by South Alabama, creating a three-way tie for first. Georgia State is my pick to get the auto-bid.
- Utah State played a fantastic game overall in an upset over Nevada. To me, Utah State is a lock for the Big Dance.
Other Conferences Not Mentioned This Week
- Lipscomb and Liberty finish the season splitting the regular season, and I am looking forward to the rubber match if it happens for the A-Sun title.
- UC Irvine looks like the clear favorite in the Big West.
- Hofstra, Northeastern, and Charleston will battle for the Colonial.
- In the schedule change for the C-USA, Old Dominion has shown strong and they are going to win the regular season title and should be the favorite in the very deep conference.
- Northern Kentucky and Wright State are beginning to start a rivalry in the Horizon League, and they both want the rubber match in Little Caesars Arena next week.
- Buffalo is still the team to beat in the MAC, but Toledo and Bowling Green are hot.
- Looking at the Missouri Valley, the question is if Loyola Chicago can defend the MVC title, or continue to struggle and fall? The Ramblers split the regular season title with Drake.
- Nevada and Utah State both look very strong in the MW and Fresno State is still not out of the picture.
- The Ohio Valley is pretty wide open with Belmont and Murray State in the picture to make the NCAA Tournament without winning the title and Jax State there to ruin the party.
- Wofford is obviously the team to beat in the SoCon, but UNC Greensboro and Furman are both on the bubble for the big dance, and they need to perform well down the stretch.
- South Dakota State wants to win the Summit again for Mike Daum’s last season, but Omaha looks strong and they would like to beat SDSU once again.
- The WAC is dominated by New Mexico State, but Grand Canyon, CS Bakersfield, and Utah Valley are all good enough to compete.
- The Ivy League, MAAC, MEAC, Northeast, Patriot, and SWAC are all wide open in my opinion.