Every Monday, we will be releasing the updated top 25 teams in the country along with headlines from power conference teams outside of the Top 25.
Top 25 Headlines
- In the Champions Classic, Kansas looked fantastic in the 1st half against Michigan State as Quinten Grimes made a name for himself as a freshman. In the 2nd half, Michigan State climbed back into the game late, but Kansas held them off. In the second game, Duke looked absolutely dominant in the first half against Kentucky led by RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson who attacked the rim at will and Cam Reddish who showed us he is the shooter. The dominance continued in the 2nd half as Duke beat Kentucky by 34 leaving UK coach John Calipari stunned with his worst loss in his time at Kentucky. Dukes Top 4 freshman combined for 89 points. In Kentucky’s next game they attempted to bounce back, but they struggled in beating the Southern Illinois Salukis leaving the Wildcats with question marks.
- UNC took advantage of Wofford and Fletcher Magee’s poor shooting in the 1st half, but in the 2nd half Fletcher Magee got going for Wofford, but it was too late as UNC got their revenge.
- Florida State lead Florida at half, and they went on to embarrass the Gators in a win by 21.
- Auburn absolutely obliterates Washington who was ranked at the time for a humongous statement win. This was a shocker to me because Washington looked fantastic in a double-digit win over a very strong Western Kentucky team in their first game.
- Iowa State flexes their muscles in a statement win over Missouri who needs to figure things out with the injury to their star Jontay Porter.
- Texas holds off Arkansas in in an overtime thriller in the Armed Forces Classic in what to me was the best game of the first week of hoops.
- The first buzzer beater of the year came as East Carolina loses a heart-breaking game at the horn to James Madison.
- A very weak Wichita State team suffers and upset from Louisiana Tech by 13, but they bounced back to beat Providence in a fantastic game. Looking at Providence, the Friars have the talent, but they need to find team chemistry from what I have seen so far.
- Xavier struggles in their season opener in a win over IUPUI and they had a tough in game two in a tight win against Evansville.
- Arizona State needed two overtimes to eventually beat a very good CS Fullerton team.
- Ohio States controls the game from start to finish and beats Cincy on the road.
- TCU needed a major comeback to avoid an upset from CS Bakersfield in a game they trailed the majority of the time.
- Vandy goes on the road for a solid win against USC.
- Loyola Chicago is upset in a heartbreaker at the hands of Furman sending Loyola out of the Top 25.
- West Virginia is upset by Buffalo, who beat Arizona in the NCAA Tournament last year. Buffalo looked like a Top 25 team in their huge win over West Virginia.
- South Carolina receives a bad upset at home from Stony Brook.
- Texas A&M suffers an upset in their second game of the season to UC Irvine.
- Baylor allows Texas Southern to comeback late and upset them on their own court in a shocker.
- Oklahoma State is upset as Charlotte hits a last second three to stun the Cowboys.
- The American Athletic Conference had a rough end to Week 1 as FAU gets an insane putback basket as time expires to beat UCF and Southern Miss finds a way to hold off SMU for another upset.
A10 Conference in Week 1
The A10 is referred to as the conference that is closest to being a power conference and is even considered to be a power conference by some experts because they are notorious for sending multiple teams to the NCAA Tournament. However, this year that may not be the case as the conference did not look good at all in Week 1 outside of a few teams.
St Joes and Duquesne were the two teams that actually looked good. St Joes had a great win at home over Old Dominion by double digits and Duquesne beat a top tier William and Mary team out of the Colonial Conference by 14 points. The team I picked to win the A10 has not lost yet, but Davidson nearly lost to one of the bottom teams in the IVY League. Dayton, Rhode Island, VCU, and Umass all have not lost either, but they have not played any relevant teams.
Below are the teams that really struggled in Week 1 in A10.
- George Mason was a highly touted team, but they fell to Penn by 1 and to American by 3 in overtime for a rough start to the season.
- St Louis is undefeated, but they looked awful as they barely held off SE Missouri State and Troy.
- St Bon was the victim of a comeback overtime loss to Bucknell, which really sets them back after their finish to last year.
- George Washington falls to Stony Brook in OT and lost to Siena proving they will be should remain towards the bottom of the A10 as predicted.
- La Salle drops two games to Temple and Lafayette.
- Fordham lost to Houston Baptist.
- Richmond lost their only game to Longwood.
Week 1 is officially in the books and college hoops is really going to heat up as preseason tournaments begin at the end of this week!